Monday, March 5, 2012

The Real Reason Mike Stanton Wants to be Called Giancarlo is Because of Me

You may have heard recently that the Miami Marlin's 22 year old slugging right fielder Mike Stanton now wants to be called Giancarlo Stanton.

He's been called Mike, which is part of his middle name Cruz-Michael, since he was a kid, but now he wants to go by his first name.

Giancarlo has yet to give a real reason for the sudden name change this season, but I know the true reason, and it's me.

Last season for the majority of Marlins games I attended I sat in the front row in right field with my fiance and a couple friends.  Of course the reason we sat there was to be as close to Stanton as possible.  He's like the Marlins' Babe Ruth.

Every inning Stanton ran out to right field my friends Sam Lay, Edmar Curiel, and I would scream, "Giancarlo, throw me a ball!"  He never tossed a ball our way, he'd always throw it to a kid, but he definitely remembers us yelling to him.

Throughout every inning Edmar would yell, "Giancarlo, be ready, it's coming your way, rob him!"

Oh yea, it's no coincidence that's why he wants to be called Giancarlo.  It may have a little to do with the new Latin coach and players they picked up this off season as well, but it's mainly because of us.

We'll be at the Marlins first ever game played in their new stadium tomorrow night.  They're playing a split squad against the Miami Hurricanes.

We won't be in right field, and Stanton won't be playing, but I'll get him to admit it sooner or later.  Stay tuned.




No comments: