Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Swarzak's Back

Twins placed pitcher Kevin Slowey on the 15-day disabled list, causing the team to bring Anthony Swarzak back up to the starting rotation from Triple-A Rochester .

The reason I mention this is because I’ve known Swarzak, 23, since I was about 12 years old and played with and against him throughout my baseball days.

He was brought up for the first time earlier this year and posted a 2-2 record with a 3.90 ERA in five starts. He was drafted straight out of high school and worked his way through the strong Twins minor league system.

He also made the International League All Star Team (a Triple-A All Star Team) and is 4-4 with a 2.34 ERA in 10 starts for Rochester this year.

I remember in middle school my city team was going up against his and he was telling a group of us how good he was. We didn’t believe him, but he proved he was on our same playing level then. He pitched and was a solid third baseman and outfielder that hit pretty well, too.

He went to a different high school because our local school's coach at the time, Sean Payton, told him he doesn’t care who he is, he’s just a freshman. From there he went to Nova High School to play for the South Florida legendary coach Pat McQuaid and was groomed into one of the best pitchers in Florida. Nova won a state championship and went to another but lost to St. Thomas, the school I was supposed to go to.

Instead I decided to stay at Northeast High School with my friends and play for the terrible Coach Payton. Of course all of us had tons of issues with him and the bundle of coaches after.

I had five different coaches throughout my four years. Out of the 12 seniors that were supposed to be on our team my senior year to help compete with Nova and St. Thomas, only one wasn’t kicked off by the end of the season by our other ass of a coach James Woods. Not one person from my class went on to play college or minor league ball after that.

Obviously I’m envious of your opportunity Ant but make the best of it you deserve it. You made the right decisions and have proven yourself over and over again to all of us left back here at home cheering you on. My dad may be your biggest supporter next to your own family because he’s a Twins fan. And I recorded on my DVR that time you hit Aaron Cunningham of the A’s in the head so come over and watch it when you get the chance. Your reaction after hitting him is great it makes me laugh every time. Good spot! And good luck with the Yankees tomorrow night Ant. Maybe I’ll interview you on ESPN some day. Until then I'll just pitch with you on MLB '09 The Show.

No comments: