Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Men's Owls BBall Continue Losing Trend, Once Again Shorthanded

Another loss and I have to tell you following this team is getting depressing.

I stayed away from football because I didn't want to fight for what games I could report on so I focused on the basketball team because I figured Mike Jarvis will lead this team to prominence, heck he's done it with every other school he's been with.

The team looked talented, and I still believe they are. Look at last night's loss to UM. They lost by 16, but were down just four with 13 minutes left in the game.

The late game collapses that have been occurring lead to one recurring factor. No depth!

Redshirt sophomores Sanchez Hughley and Xavier Perkins were what I was hoping to see as the 2 and 3 guards, but neither are expected to be playing anymore this year. Hughley because of a health issue, and Perkins for "academic reasons."

Hughley is 6'4" and so is Perkins. In their spot we have freshman's Alex Tucker, who is 5'11" and Shavar Richardson, who is 6'2". Don't get me wrong, Tucker and Richardson have played great this year, but that is 5 inches we are losing and 2 bodies off the bench. And we all know height and depth mean the world in college basketball.

Then you have Carlos Monroe, who missed 9 games to start the year, and was out again for last night's game. And again, they say for "academic reasons." To add he is our best re-bounder in school history.

FAU lost the rebound battle 47-29 last night. Tell me these three guys missing doesn't have something to do with it.

By the way, I hate the term "academic reasons." Want to hear the reasons for Monroe and Perkins' inability to play in games. I've heard Monroe was suspended last night because of missing an exam and that Perkins is out because his GPA isn't high enough to be eligible.

Jarvis never gives a straight answer when asked about his players absences. I understand protecting your players from negativity, but maybe if they were put out there they wouldn't make the same mistakes.

Still, I have faith in this depleted team and will be at all their home games on the sideline this year, and at the FIU away games.

Stay with me as these FAU faithful fans did last night at the UM game.















The next go-round is at Middle Tennessee State on Thursday Jan. 8 at 8pm. MTSU was picked to win the Sun-Belt this year and has a 9-5 record including being 3-0 in the Sun Belt. This could prove to be the longest season of Jarvis' career.

No comments: